dots

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Unexpected

Well I recently found out that I had Skin Cancer. I have had a spot on my cheek for about 5 years. It started out as just a small spot, similar to a pimple that wouldn't pop. I saw my dermatologist and thought it was a cyst and he lanced it and I was on my way. It never went away, but it wasn't something that seemed to be so obvious or even that noticeable, so I let it be. In the past year, it seemed to change. It got larger and seemed to turn inward and develop a perfect circular ring around it. I went to my dermatologist again, he thought it looked suspicious and starting freezing the area. It would scab over and peel off, still nothing. In November this year, he took a biopsy of the area, the result: basal cell carcinoma. I panicked. He told me this wasn't something he could do in his office and referred me to Dr. Stiff. Dr. Stiff is a Mohs trained dermatologist. Mohs surgery is basically microscopic surgery. They removed the area with a scapel and review it under a microscope to see if they got all of the cells. If they didn't they go back in and take more and more again if they need to. He was a great Doctor, but unfortunately, I am now left with a Large hole (or crater) in my cheek. But the good news is I am now Basal Cell Carcinoma free. yay!

No comments: