dots

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Confession of a Shopaholic...with a Credit Card Problem

So last night I decided that it was time to have confessions of a Shopaholic with my husband last night. The stress of having a credit card was more than I could handle and I needed an intervention...so I staged one for myself. I imagine if I were catholic, it would kind of be the same thing. I had to confess all of my charging and shopping sins and pay the price. We are living the American dream...debt! Well the stress was eating away at me cuz I felt like we weren't getting anywhere...DUH, when you use your cards how do you expect to get ahead. Well have months and months of paying them and not feeling like I was getting anywhere. I confessed my sins and gave all of my cards to my hubby and told him to do whatever he felt necessary. I heard the clip, clip of them as he snipped them into pieces and listened tearfully as they fell into the wastebasket.
I wasn't upset because he cut them, I was more upset because I felt embarrassed about the whole thing. Embarrassed that I preach to him about paying the bills, but managed to run up the cards that I have. Embarrassed that I needed to tell him I need help. Embarrassed that I can't control myself with shopping sometimes.
Now that the cards have gone in the garbage...I have opted to start fresh. I created an excel spreadsheets and labeled it Amy's get out of debt plan. I calculated all of the income I expect to receive on a monthly basis and divided it up accordingly. I've even managed to save a little with my plan. Now the tough part...sticking to it! I can do this...I HAVE to do this or there will never be a light at the end of the tunnel.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Admitting the problem and getting rid of the cards is such a huge step. Hopefully following through on the rest of the plan will work out too. Good luck!

Cathy De Los Santos said...

I need someone to take my cards away from me ... keep your head up and take it one day at a time.