dots

Monday, September 7, 2009

A day of my life as a nurse

So my workday on Saturday was interesting to say the least. It was a crazy day and was the first time since I have been there that I didn't "love" it. It was too much work for one person to handle and I felt like I was drowning.
The worst part of my day was one patient in particular and she drove me crazy. I got to play mediator between her and her roommate for the biggest part of the day. One was accusing the other of assaulting her in the middle of the night and turning off her TV. As the story goes, she said that her roommate came over in the middle of the night and turned off her TV and then swiped her on the foot. She proceeded to go on to tell me that no one did anything about it and she was afraid to go to sleep because she was afraid that she would be assaulted again. As I heard the story...not only once, but 3 times that day it got a little more elaborate. Each time the story was told and retold, the roommate behind the curtain vehemently denied the incident. She did admit to turning off the TV, but did not touch her roommate. All I heard all day was, "I didn't do it", "I didn't do it", eventually I had to intervene and tell her that I had heard enough. Quite honestly, I believed her. I believe that after she turned off the TV, she might have lost balance (because she is unsteady) and touched her foot, but by no means assaulted her.
All day long, I heard the story repeated by the "victim". I told her that I wasn't working at the time and couldn't bear witness to the situation. I explained that all stories have 2 sides and this was a she said, she said thing. I wasn't going to judge either side, but would do my best to get the roommate moved.
Seriously, later on that day, I heard her on the phone to someone saying that no one cares that she's been assaulted and everyone must believe her roommate because she keeps getting all of the attention. Mind you, the roommate put on the call light 3-4 times that day for various reasons and was attended to. I was SO mad at the lady on the phone. I wanted to grab the phone and explain what was going on to whomever she was talking to...but didn't because I am a professional. She was such a pain all day to deal with. Eventually, I got the roommate moved and she was quiet. Sadly, I felt for the roommate because I feel like she got deal a bad hand in the roommate department, but I was also relieved to not hear them bickering any longer. Ugh...it was a tough day.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Sounds like you got my Gramma as your patient, lol. I think it's just that older women miss attention and will get it in any way that they can. Not ALL older women....but a select few. I think it's awesome though, that you've only had one day when you didn't LOVE your job. I'm jealous. LOL. Oh wait, I don't have a job.

Michelle said...

Sounds like oodles of fun. Bleah. Sorry you had a crappy day.