dots

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Endlich!

Endlich!, that's German for finally!
I had a great interview today and was offered a position. I can't believe that I am finally going to be a registered nurse!
I was excited about the interview as soon as I pulled up to the facility. It was so nice and the lobby was pretty quiet, which too me was a good sign. There was no impending chaos, like yesterday.

Yesterday I had what was supposed to be an interview in da hood. I mean downtown, dirty Detroit, it was how should I say...a very colorful area. There was no parking that I could see at the facility, so I had to park on the street. As soon as I got out, I was asked for money. I locked, and rechecked to make sure my car was locked before I went in. I dunno what I would have done if I were stranded down there.
I ask for the lady I was supposed to meet and they were all a bit confused. Eventually, someone came out and gave me a stack of papers to start filling out (i kid you not, there was at least 40 pieces of paper in the application packet they gave me). Most of the stuff didn't apply, until you got hired so I skipped those. She came back out and was like...why do you want to work here? You are an RN, can't you get a job in the hospital? In my mind, I am thinking geez lady are you serious, do you think if I could get a job in a hospital I'd even be here. But I replied with a simple, "I am new grad". Well after filling out the papers, she said she'd call me for an interview, but I thought that was what I was there for? Bygone's...I was outta there, the whole place kind of gave me the creeps. She never did call...As I left, I was relieved to see that my car was still where I parked it and still had all of its tires. I was again asked for money from some random dude on the street in which I replied..."Sorry, dude, I am am here for a job interview". And I drove around the area, since I was in broad daylight and took it all in. I don't think I'll be going to that side of town again anytime soon.

Today's interview was fab. The place was great, the nurse that interviewed me was super nice and informative. She too was an OCC grad, so bonus points for me. She asked me all of the typical stuff, they like to ask and I was in the interview "zone" and was doing great. She gave me a tour of the facility. It was clean, busy and no one was just hanging out in the hallways. She said she'd recommend me for the position and that she needed to speak with HR. HR came out and also said that they would like to hire me as well, but they'd have to do a reference check 1st and that they'd call me. So 2 hours later, they called with the great news and offered me a position! I start next week with orientation, I can't wait!

No comments: