dots

Friday, August 21, 2009

Names

As I have begun my new job at the nursing home, ponder what happens to names.
As I walk from hall to hall and i see all of the names on the doors and they are all names that I don't hear them anymore. They are what I call "old people names", I'd list a few of them, but I fear that I'd be breaking privacy rules. Aside from that it makes me wonder, how does this cycle go?
When I am in my 80's will names like Amy, Jennifer, Heather, Kristi/Christy, Kelly, Melanie, Adam, Michael, Joseph, Steven, Brad, Karen and the names of many of my classmates, be obsolete? How does that happen? Do parents get tired of naming their kids after themselves or grandparents and the names just go away?
I mean, really when I have child someday, I am not likely to look at him/her and say aww, what a cute baby, he/she looks like a Laverne or Gary (my parents names respectively or Arthur or Lucille (my grandparents)). I suppose that is how names fall by the wayside.
I do smile each day as I walk the halls and look at the names of all of the residents. I am making a list in my head of all of the names that I don't hear anymore today. Maybe someday, they'll make a comeback.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

It's an interesting observation. I'm reading Twilight and the vampire fam bam have names that are obsolete these days too. I think some names will never disappear, like "Sandy"....but I too find it interesting to think why names are popular in generations. Great post. :)

Michelle said...

Very interesting. Totally thought of what Kristi was saying as I read this...