dots

Friday, August 28, 2009

What Happened to them?

I was recently enlightened by the 2 weddings that I am going to in the next few days and I thought to myself what happened to MY bridesmaids and groomsmen? I mean chosing your wedding party is a BIG deal and at the time, it was an easy choice, but now, if I were to do it all over again, would I choose the same people?
Fortunately and probably unfortunately, I am an only child and wasn't obliged to have any of my family in the wedding. Not that I would mind this at all, but I am not that close with any of my cousins and I thought chosing my friends was best at the time. Out of the 3 bridesmaids that I had at my wedding, I only talk to one of them still. She is my BFF (even though we are weirdly not close like most BFF's are), a good friend that I made at summer camp so many years ago...when we were 12. The other 2 were great friends at the time, but have since changed their life's paths and we rarely talk at all due to not having things in common anymore. I talk with only one of the groomsmen and he's a good friend still, the funny part is he was a stand-in for someone else who backed out in the end.
I surveyed my married friends out of curiosity to see if they still are close with the people in their wedding party and 80% of them said that they weren't. I thought how weird! Why is this SUCH a big decision at the time and have no bearing years to come? Do we change that much after being married?

1 comment:

Misty said...

you got me thinking. I'll have been married 5 years in Feb. I had 5 bridesmaids. I still talk to 3 of them on a regular basis (one is my sister and the other my cousin/bff). Of the other two, one was a really good friend because we worked together. She's moved back to CA and we've lost touch. The last was my bff from HS that I talk to if we run into each other in public.

We talk to all the groomsmen but one on a regular basis.

Thanks for the thought!!